ANVIL is a sci-fi multiplayer co-op game; it is a shooter game with some roguelike elements. You take control of characters that are known as vault breakers, and with them, you can explore many galaxies that are crawling with monsters, but there are also filled with precious relics inside vaults, which will help you get stronger and survive longer. ANVIL is the perfect game to play with a friend, and the game is already available on Steam, but it still is in an early access phase, so the game might not be extremely polished. If you just bought the game and you’re not familiar with this type of game, don’t worry, here you will find some tricks that will help you get started.
Tips & Tricks: How To Survive Longer
Roguelike games are extremely high-paced and frenetic, so at all times, you’re going to need to pay attention to your surroundings, as enemies can attack you from everywhere, and each of them will have different attack patterns. This might not be easy to do at first, but when fighting the same type of enemies, do your best to try and memorize their patterns so that next time that you fight them, you’ll know exactly what to expect. This can also be applied to bosses, so be sure to try your best to memorize each enemy’s attack. Even if you memorize them, at first, you might still struggle a little bit to dodge them, but with time and practice, you will be able to freely move on the battlefield while avoiding taking damage and attacking at the same time. Movement is key to surviving in ANVIL, so never stay put.
Another important thing is to choose upgrades carefully. Also, it is always better to buy purple perks, as they are better than most, and you won’t need to buy them very frequently. It is also important to buy a good gun. When you first start, you won’t have every vault breaker available, but you will unlock them the more you play. You should try and play with all of them so that you can find the one that better suits your playstyle or one that you like. Every Breaker is unique, and your build can change depending on which one you choose to play.
- The breakers have their own characteristics, and there are specific weapon types that breakers can use by those characteristics.
- Shootertype breakers can use rifles and shotguns, Fightertype breakers can use ax, hammer, and gauntlet, and Technician type breakers can use handguns and canon.
- Each weapon also has its own characteristics, and it is able to identify those beforehand through data.
- Find the vaults as much as you can by choosing appropriate weapons on the rapidly changing battlefield!
Death & Rebirth
- The Breakers go into combats with their mechanical body. They are rebuilt in ANVIL if they are destroyed during an exploration.
- Your Breakers will gain EXP during the battle that will enhance their strength and give them new powers. The Breakers are not afraid of death because death only makes them stronger when they are rebuilt.
Play with Friends & Explore the Galaxy
- There are many dangers lurking on the planets when you go exploring. When you feel that you need a hand, try finding a teammate to explore the planets together.
- You can invite your friends, or you can choose random matches to play with users from all over the world.
- There are a total of three galaxies that breakers will explore to find vaults. It will be more difficult to survive as you challenge higher stages.
- The number of breakers that you can be together will also vary by each galaxy. If you are exploring the most challenging galaxy, Campanella, you can be with up to three other breakers. Collaborate with other breakers to find various vaults in different galaxies.
- There is a mounting slot to utilize the acquired relics with the breakers’ suits. When you achieve specific requirements, the number of this slot will increase. Then, you can equip a maximum of four relics before the game starts. It is available to have different relic settings by Breakers. You can significantly improve viability with defensive relics or aim for synergy by setting the relics with various effects.
- Explore the galaxies with various relic settings according to each breakers’ characteristics!
Meeting Your New Team: Breakers – All Classes
- Jungler is an early battlesuit model produced by the Gunzo and issued to new pilots.
- Attacks enemies with a long-range rifle.
- Precision shots deal heavy damage. [Explosuve Mine] and [Bullet Slash] allow for keeping enemies in close range in check, while [Croosfire] can lay waste to many enemies at once.
- It uses a shotgun that deals great damage in close range.
- Use [Tornado Grenade] to pin down enemies in place and then blast them away with.
- [Sand Sniper Shot], [Power Shield] allows for increased survivability.
- It uses a rifle that fires homing projectiles.
- High mobility granted by [Quick Dash] more than makes up for its low health.
- The penetrating laser’s heavy damage paired with an aggressive playstyle gives it—the potential to become one of the most powerful breakers to have ever existed.
- It attacks with a rifle that has a chance to fire missiles.
- [Elecrto Trap] locks enemies in place for safer engagement.
- Faster attack speed increases the chance of firing missiles for additional firepower.
- Guillotine is an attack-oriented Breaker wielding a massive battleax.
- [Executioner] not only inflicts heavy damage but also grants the user increased survival capabilities by restoring HP.
- Releasing the attack button at the right moment triggers a powerful combo skill.
- Nicknamed “the Moving Castle,” this particular battlesuit uses a slow, but powerful hammer.
- Blocking attacks restore its HP, making it a tough Breaker to take down.
- Releasing the attack button at the right moment triggers a powerful combo skill.
- The first one-of-a-kind battlesuit to utilize [Summon Module].
- Summon Glacial Beast to defend against enemy attacks and return fire from its behind in safety.
- [Ice Wave] freezes enemies and destroys enemy projectiles, while the short-range [Ultra Beam] deals massive damage.
- A close-range hitter armed with gauntlets deals high amounts of damage to single targets.
- Petrify enemies with [Sand Beam] followed by a chained attack from [Lightning Flash].
- When at low HP, activate Vampire Module using [Charge Rush], which allows each hit to restore HP.
- Shuri is a support battlesuit with an integrated Group Heal Module.
- [Breeze] heals allies while [Gust Wind] gives the entire party boosted attack speed.
- This particular Breaker may be difficult to use in one-man operations, but it truly shines in a team.
- An assault-type Battlesuit nicknamed “Phoenix.”
- Wielding a pair of paid-fire handguns, its low HP makes skillful controls necessary.
- However, its Phoenix passive ability automatically restores HP when low, giving the pilot some breathing room.
- Utilize [Phoenix Wing] to fly through enemies and deal serious damage.
- Toast is a heavy weapons battlesuit equipped with a flamethrower.
- The flamethrower is a powerful weapon that inflicts burn status but has a limited range, and expending ammunition over a certain threshold causes it to overheat, damaging the Breaker.
- Always keep an eye on HP and be sure to reload at opportune moments to prevent the weapon from overheating.
As previously mentioned, the game is still on early access, so things might be possible to change in the future. Also, the game is relatively new, so there is still a lot of stuff to be discovered. These tips are a bit more generalized and not specific for the game itself. Roguelikes usually follow the same pattern when it comes to gameplay, so with this kind of knowledge, you can play any other roguelike and do well.
If you’re a beginner, the game can feel a bit frustrating at certain times, but that is part of it. Games like these take some time to get used to it, so don’t feel bad if you’re not doing well at first. And remember, you can also play online and get more advice from other players. So don’t be afraid to go online and play with someone else.
Since ANVIL still isn’t a finished game, if you start playing it and come across any bugs or things that you think can be improved, be sure to reach out to the developers. They are working closely with the community, aiming to improve the game, so feedback from players is extremely important to them. ANVIL is a fun game, and it can end up being an amazing game when it is finally finished.