Your character gains skill ranks based on his or her class and Intelligence modifier at each level. A rank invested in a skill represents a measure of that skill’s training. You can never have more ranks in a skill than you have Hit Dice. In addition, each class has a set of preferred skills referred to as class skills. These skills are easier for your character to master because they are part of his professional training and constant practice.
- Athletics (Strength) – Climbing an obstacle or jumping to a different map segment.
- In battle, mobility (Dexterity) is the ability to move past opponents without triggering attacks of opportunity.
- Lockpicking and disarming traps are examples of trickery (Dexterity).
- Stealth (Dexterity) – Avoiding random encounters on the world map and moving past opponents without being seen.
- Lore: Nature (Wisdom) – Gains the power to cure ailments and delays weariness when roaming around the globe map.
- Lore: Religion (Wisdom) – Conjuring divine magic scrolls and recalling religious knowledge.
- Perception (Wisdom) – Allows you to spot traps and hidden items/loot when camping; protects you from being shocked by adversaries.
- Persuasion (Charisma) – The probability of additional dialogue options succeeding (i.e., diplomacy, intimidation, and deceit).
- Use Magic Device (Charisma) – Being able to use wands and scrolls that you would not normally be able to use.
- Learning spells from spellbooks, crafting arcane spell scrolls, and identifying magical things are all examples of arcana knowledge (Intelligent).
- Brewing potions, understanding books, and memorizing information about the land are all examples of knowledge: world (Intelligent).