Tips and Tricks: a Beginner’s Guide
Here’s a handful of tips to help you along the way.
1. Whenever you conquer a new city, the first thing you should do is destroy the local temple. Remove their false idols, and replace it with a Shrine of Saturn. Saturn helps with population loyalty and will keep those more barbaric cities under control. If your city is on the coast, you can build a Shrine of Neptune instead.
2. Do not build Shrines of Vulcan (Or blacksmiths for that matter) in cities you don’t plan on producing Troops. If a city revolts, their troops will gain the benefits of your buildings. It doesn’t make a huge difference, but it will make your life easier.
3. Speaking of Revolts… Corduba in Spain and Tarsus in Turkey are both notorious for revolting. These two cities in particular seem to always have a problem with civilized society. When you reach the point where you can’t make them happy, evacuate your troops, and let them revolt. Siege the city, and massacre the populous. It’s the only way to keep them in check.
4. Athens is the single best city in the game. With a decent general, Athens can make you over 10k per turn. Make it your capitol as you begin to move East. Prioritize Trade here, Highways, Ports, the works.
5. Mercenaries are extremely helpful for garrison control. In order to keep your army on the move, recruit Mercs and fill cities with them. Try not to leave them their alone, as most Mercs don’t fair well in Sieges.
6. Cretan Archers are the very best Archer unit you can recruit. Search for mercs in Greece and Turkey often, and recruit every single one. They will put your Archers to shame. (Merc Hoplites, Thracian Mercs, Cilician Pirates and Scythian Horse Archers are decent, but don’t rely on them to much. The rest are good fodder.)
7. You do not have to do what the Senate says. Ever.
8. Do not take a lot of Slaves early game. Slaves increase your cities population, which you want to avoid for now. The more people in your cities, the sooner you will have to build your Royal Palace. Exterminating the Populous is a lot more effective for our means. You get the money, and the people flood back to your cities pretty quickly.
9. When building for your massive empire, you’ll want to prioritize certain buildings over others. Not every city needs to be able to pump out siege weapons. Every city should be able to make at least one kind of unit, but there isn’t a need for those units to be the best. Invest in infrastructure.
Here’s a quick build order for most cities: Temples —> Ports —> Roads —> Markets —> Sewers —> Farms —> Arenas —> Academies
Keep your cities building, and it’ll keep most of them happy. In turn, most of your cities will start turning profits the more you trade with yourself and other factions.
10. Hire Diplomats early. Send them out to every faction you can, and request only Trade Rights. The other faction will always accept if they aren’t at War with you. It is worth investing in two or three diplomats early on and spreading them out around the world early. You can try and get Map information, but don’t let them make you buy it. It’ll be yours eventually anyway.
11. Man Of The Hour – This is something that rarely occurs when an army without a general wins a battle. When this happens, one of your troops will have the option of becoming family, and become a full-fledged General.
IMPORTANT NOTE: When A Man Of The Hour is selected, you must accept it immediately from your “Alerts” Tab. If you move the Army who got the Man of the Hour award, and then go to accept him as a new general, it will fail and tell you the man is already dead. Be careful.