Fix: Controller Not Working on PC
To fix the controller not working issue on your PC, follow the steps below.
- On the top left, click on Steam.
- Click on the “GENERAL CONTROLLER SETTING” button.
- Select/Check your gaming controller—for example, PlayStation Configuration Support.
- Then go back and click on the OK button.
- Launch the game and check your controller.
When to plug in the controller
Connect the controller before starting Battlefield™ 2042. Do not connect it while the game is starting, as this may lead to issues.
Check the batteries
It may sound elementary, but if you’re using a controller that runs on batteries, even rechargeable ones, the chances are your batteries may have given up on you. Batteries may run out faster than usual as they age, and it may also be a sign to get a replacement or find other alternatives if this keeps happening more frequently.
Try out different USB ports.
Cabled controllers may suffer from connectivity options. Changing USB ports will be a decent way to troubleshoot any connectivity issues that aging ports can cause. If you hear a little chime while your controller stops working, you’ll know that there might be something wrong with your port or the cable of your controller.
Reinstalling the drivers
Controllers also have drivers, and they’re usually updated with automatic Windows updates. If you have disabled updates before or it’s been a while since you last updated, you’ll need to check if any drivers are released for your controller. Follow these steps to reinstall the drivers:
- Right-click the Windows start button.
- Find your controller in the device list.
- Right-click the controller and select Uninstall device.
- Restart the PC with the controller plugged in.
- The drivers will be re-installed automatically.
Or Type in your controller’s model into Google and also add drivers at the end. Navigate to your controller’s manufacturer’s website and download the latest available drivers.
Method #2 (DS4 Controller)
You’ll need help from some online software to get the PS4 controller functioning on a PC. That program is called DS4Windows, and it was created mainly for this purpose, as the title suggests. It works by convincing your PC that the Dualshock 4 you’re using is an Xbox 360 & One controller, which is already certified as a Microsoft device.
‘DS4Windows.exe’ should be the name of the downloaded file. Click it, and it’ll take you through the setup process till a pop-up menu appears, asking you where you want your settings and profiles saved — standard stuff. After that, select the ‘Install the DS4 Driver’ option, and the program will start working to make any plugged-in PS4 controller compatible with Windows 8, Windows 8.1, or Windows 10. If you’re still using Windows 7, you’ll also need to click on the ‘Install 360 Driver’ button.
- Connect your PlayStation 4 controller to your computer.
It’s almost here: connect your PS4 DualShock 4 controller to your computer or laptop. You can do this with any USB-Micro & USB cable or using Bluetooth to connect the gamepad wirelessly. While not all PCs and laptops come with a Bluetooth receiver, it’s relatively easy to find one to work with your setup.
Then it’s just about getting the two to talk as you would do with a Dualshock 4 and PS4 console. Hold the center PlayStation button, and this will force DS4Windows to open its Action Centre – then click ‘Bluetooth’ and select ‘Wireless Controller.’
Download the Xbox 360 Controller Emulator: https://www.x360ce.com/
- Click on the “Download for 64-bit games” button.
- It supports all joystick versions, including the PS4, Logitech controller.
- Run the x360ce_x64.exe application in the Battlefield™ 2042 folder.
- Click on the Create button.
- Extract the zip to the folder where Battlefield™ 2042 is installed.
- Make sure the USB is plugged in.
- Click on the Create button.
- Click on the Next button.
- Click on the Finish button.
- Go to the Game Settings tab.
- Click on the “Apply/Synchronize Settings” button.
- Go to the Controller 1 tab.
- Click on the Save button.
- That’s all; you can play the game now.